Well it didn’t go quite that smooth this time, and I received an error that WP couldn’t copy the wp-comments-post.php file. I could have just upgraded the old fashioned way, but decided to investigate further. Here’s what I did to fix it:
- Logged into my server via ftp
- Located the upgrade files in wp-content/upgrade
- Tried to delete the ‘core’ directory and all its contents (these, I believe are the upgrade files)
- I was denied permission to delete these files (on my own server no less), so I used Terminal (on a mac) to ssh into the server and delete the ‘core’ directory.
- Re-ran the upgrade from within WP, and everything went smoothly.
Now it’s time to go and poke around the new version!